Soft, Warm. Sweet. Delicious.
Every Baker has a secret ingredient for a soft and delicious cake. I m sharing mine with you today but first let me get you drooling over this cake.
ANOTHER CAKE !What is she thinking. This might look like an ordinary cake you see everyday but believe me it’s not. As the saying goes never judge a book by its cover, My version it never judge a cake only by looking. You must try this , just once and its enough to get to hooked to this cake.
The Crowning glory of this cake is dates,so lets talk about them . when you add dates to a cake two magical things happen. Firstly they are a natural sweetener and provide a delicious taste to this cake, this also means less white sugar goes in this cake to it’s a bit healthy.
Secondly when the dates cook they provide moister to the cake thus creating a softer crumb and moist cake.
Have I awaken your sweet cravings yet ?
Or do I need to feed you with more dateology little more ?
OK let’s try once more.
This cake has two types of dates. First almost a date paste , this ensures that every mouthful has a burst of date flavor after all this is a date cake Right? and by adding a paste the color of the cake changed to almost a whole-wheat flour cake, which makes it look healthy .
Secondly the chunks of dates i call them the jewels of dates once baked they get chewy, caramelized and everything good.
I can see you drooling my job is done here now let’s get into the technical part of this cake which is my secret weapon.
As every baker has a secret weapon to a moist and soft cake. My secret ingredient is yogurt, it may sound a little crazy but trust me on this , yogurt does wonders to this cake, it creates a soft and mouth-watering cake. Yogurt is acidic adding baking soda will active it giving a fluffy texture once combined it makes a melt in your mouth experience.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unflavored oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 and 1/4 cup soft brown dates, seed removed chopped and divided
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Position a rack so that the cake will sit in the middle of the oven, and preheat the oven to 170ºC. Line 1 loaf tin with parchment paper and grease the parchment paper with oil and set aside.
- In a small bowl add hot milk and 1 cup of dates, let the dates sit for 5 minutes or in till the mixture is cooled.
- In a large bowl using handheld electric beaters, beat together eggs and sugar until light and fluffy add in the cooled date mixture and beat again until well combined.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the egg mixture using a spatula or a wooden spoon fold in the ingredients until no dry patched are seen.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 30- 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes , remove from pan peel of the parchment paper and enjoy .