The soft, buttery orange cake , filled with white chocolate mousse , topped with a simple glaze and fondant flowers I am salivating already.
Well you don’t have to be a professional baker or artist to create this cake it is very simple just few techniques and you will be able to wow your guests .
These flowers are easy to make and you can make them days or even weeks ahead.
- 6 small balls of yellow fondant
- 1 small ball of white fondant
- a thumb
- a wooden skewer or a tooth pick
Place the white ball in the middle and arrange all six yellow balls around it , this will form a flower.
Using your thumb squash the flower a little.
Using a wooden skewer make indents in the middle of each petal .
Let dry overnight.
Make a small snake of red fondant
Using your thumb flatten the snake.
Start from one end and start to roll it until a rose is formed.
Orange Cake with White Chocolate Mousse
Make flowers at least 24 hours before decorating the cake
- 200 grams unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 1/4 cup (175 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon orange food color (increase or decrease the amount to your color liking)
For White chocolate mousse
- 1/2 cup white chocolate , chopped
- 1 1/2 cup double cream / whipping cream
For Top Glaze
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon water
- 15 – 20 daisy in different color
- 10 – 15 small red roses
FOR THE CAKE
- Position a rock so that the cake will sit in the middle of the oven, and preheat the oven to 170ºC. Line 2 inch round cake pan with parchment paper and grease the parchment paper with oil .
- Cream the butter using a mixer, or an electric handheld beater on medium speed.
- Add the sugar to the creamed butter, beating on high-speed until the sugar is well combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat on medium speed for 30 seconds after each addition.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking power, milk powder, salt and orange zest.
- With the mixers running on ow speed add in half the amount of the flour mixture , beating until just combined and in orange juice and orange color beat again. Add in the rest of the flour and mix until no dry patched are seen.
- Turn of the mixer, scrap down the sides of the bowl with a spatula , if any unmixed bits are seen, beat again on medium speed for 30 seconds no more or the cake will become tougher.
- Divide the evenly between 2 pans and using a spatula level the tops.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or when a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool and cut each cake in the middle so you will end up with 4 even layers of cake.
FOR WHITE MOUSSE
- Melt chocolate in the microwave in 30 second burst ensuing to mix the chocolate after each 30 seconds so that it will not burn.
- Whip up cream to stiff peak, add a little cream to the white chocolate to loosen it up .
- Pour the white chocolate in the cream and mix unsung a spatula until combined.
- pour the mouse into a piping bag if u desire . or set aside for later use.
- Mix together icing sugar and water until a pour able consistency is made. Adjust the amount of water as you are mixing.
Place one layer of the cake on the bottom and start by piping white mousse in top , or using a spatula make an even layer of mousse.
Place another cake layer on top and repeat until all the layers are stacked up .
Pour the glaze on the top of the cake and arrange flour on top.