Cinnamon rolls has always been my guilty pleasure and donuts as well. After long thinking and failing multiple times at last I have a recipe to satisfy my craving of both of them together and to justify myself eating more than these are a little healthy donuts are baked instant of fried. The aroma of cinnamon with the light fluffy dough drenched in sweet buttery frosting are just delicious.
Many recipes recall for waiting and proofing the dough for hours, I don’t know about you but I can wait that patiently to eat these. These cinnamon donuts are quick to make from start to finish and on the plus side they are way easy as the kneading part is literally 2 minutes or less.
I started my dough with heating 1/2 cup water and 1/2 milk in a large bowl about 30 – 40 seconds in the microwave , just make sure that the liquid is lukewarm (You can test it my placing your finger in the liquid if you don’t feel anything than that done) Add 2 1/4 teaspoon yeast, 4 tablespoon sugar and using a spoon mix until the yeast is dissolved let the yeast mixture stand for 5 minutes you will know its done as it will form bubbles on the surface.
After the yeast is activated add 1 egg and mix in, now the fun part add half of the flour into the liquid about 1 1/2 cup using electric hand-held beater beat the mixture for 5 minutes it will be runny at this stage so don’t worry it is suppose to be like that, after 5 minutes slowly add in the rest of the flour about 1 tablespoon at a time and pour in the melted butter as well. When the dough is getting a little thicker and hard stop and beater, using a spoon place the dough onto a clean and floured surface . Add in the rest of the flour that is left and salt knead in till the dough comes together and is smooth . Place it in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap let it proof for 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
Once risen roll out the dough into a rectangle with the thickness of 1/2 inch . Spread soften butter on top of the dough and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar roll the dough into a log and cut in the middle length-wise, flatten with hand so all the layers are visible. Roll the dough again until its 1/2 inch thick cut using circle cutters to create a donut shape and place onto a greased baking sheet. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rise again for 10 minutes meanwhile preheat the oven to 180 C.
Bake the donuts for 15 minutes they will have a slight golden color on top and will be double in size, remove from the oven and let cool.
For the glaze : mix together 4 tablespoon of butter , icing sugar and beat with a wooden spoon until well combine add hot water to thin down the glaze.
Cinnamon Swirl Donuts
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoon yeast
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoon butter, soften
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, soften
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 3-6 tablespoon hot water
- In a large bowl pour in water and milk heat the water in a microwave for 30-40 seconds until lukewarm
- Add in the yeast and sugar, mix with a spoon until the yeast is dissolved set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Scoop in 1 1/2 cup of flour into the wet ingredients and using an electric hand-held beater, beat the dough until it is elastic.about 5 minutes.At this stage at the salt and the melted butter as well.
- Keep adding 1 tablespoon of flour at a time until the dough is hard and not possible to mix with the beater.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and knead with hands with hands until the dough is smooth. (at this stage you have probably used 3 cups of flour if not don’t worry as long as your dough is not sticky)
- Put the dough into a greased bowl ,cover with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place for 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Once risen roll out the dough into a rectangle with the thickness of 1/2 inch . Spread soften butter on top of the dough and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar roll the dough into a log and cut in the middle length-wise, flatten with hand so all the layers are visible.
- Roll the dough again until its 1/2 inch thick cut using circle cutters to create a donut shape and place onto a greased baking sheet. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rise again for 10 minutes meanwhile preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until little golden color is seen on top.
For the glaze
- Mix together butter , icing sugar and beat with a wooden spoon until well combine add hot water to thin down the glaze.
- Spoon the glaze onto cooled donuts